Like all big cities, Glasgow has its fair share of crime. Our trainees rarely experience any problems, but here are some practical tips to keep yourself safe:
- Use Taxis to get home after a night out at a club/bar. Dont walk alone!
- Avoid illegal drugs and generally abide the law.
- In the unlikely event you find yourself in a fight, just walk away.
- Keep your passport, money and other valuables safe at all times.
- Beggars are not a major problem in Glasgow, but if people come asking for money just politely say you don’t have anything or ignore them.
- Do not leave your drink unattended.
Scotland has its own unique criminal law compared to the rest of the UK. Below is a summary of key laws:
- It is illegal to drink alcohol in a public place i.e. streets, parks, squares etc. You will be fined £50-100 if caught doing so
- Urinating/peeing in a public place will also probably result in a fine
- Jay-walking or crossing a road when the green man is not showing is not illegal, but exercise caution when crossing the road – cars will not stop for you!